May 21, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

Hello B-boys and B-girls. Let's jump right in today. I'm thirsty for some Juice Crew and some dropping of knowledge at the same time. It may not seem possible to put those on the same plate but guess what?! You can. I had this video on tape before my sister (affectionately now known as Destructo) erased it for some trife life ish. I'll never get over it. You can read about it here. Anyway, this seems somewhat appropriate since Erase Racism fits the bill on both counts. Kool G Rap, Biz Markie and Big Daddy Kane came off on this one. A relaxed approach to a tense subject. You gotta love it.

On the heels of Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing, I remember the racial climate being hotter than July in 1990. This song came right on time with skill and relevance that still permeates today. I'm not too young to remember the death of Yusef Hawkins, so for Kane to mention it hit me hard. Plus, the beat was sick. Peep how it drops for the Asiatic Black Man. As usual, Biz cannot help being the court jester- but he added charm to this otherwise serious track with his rendition of Three Dog Night's Black and White. It does nothing to take away from the importance of this joint. There were so many powerful images in this video, too. Hitler and David Duke. Howard Beach news clippings. People of different races seemingly joining forces. Sidebar: I always loved the dancing in this vid. I miss dat shit! And truthfully, it wasn't until I watched it again with mature eyes that I recognized the symbolism of G Rap rhyming in a cemetery. No matter our ethnicity or differences- we all end our journey here in the same place. This Bug's favorite line? "I bring a rattle any battle that you send me in. I'm no villain so why would I be killin' Indians?" One Love.

No comments: