March 12, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

This Bug has mentioned before that she taped a lot of videos back in the day. A lot. The most disheartening thing about that? My middle sister recorded over most of what I captured for...wait for it...Three different accounts of the Amy Fischer Made-For-TV movies. Yep. That's six hours of vids...gone. Do you have any concept of how much music that was, People? I wanted to murder her. Some were timeless classics. Some were one hit wonders. This week's Throwback falls into the latter category. I think it aired just once on Video Music Box on a segment they called (of all things) Nervous Thursdays and I happened to catch it. That's when Crazy Sam played obscure songs from little known artists. Those videos were just a little more to the left than the standard R&B and Hip Hop the show was known for. Recently, a near and dear friend played this and instantly transported me back to Junior High. I was moved to tears in the most inexplicable way. You see, this was one of the casualties of what I call my sister's "Buttafiasco" obsession. Which makes it very appropriate- since that same friend expressed to me once that stealing music from someone is akin to stealing a memory or part of their lives. Something about Season of the Vic was so melancholy to me. Whenever I felt lonely and misunderstood or just taken for granted; this song seemed to suit my mood but soothe it all at once. I was most definitely a "vic". She did me dirty taping over my precious memories. There's not much else I can say. Either you feel it or you don't. Peace.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo, I'm about to troop to the Roti King and cop me a beef patti and coco bread. Wash it down with an A-Treat..

Crazy Sam, damn..why couldnt it all be so simple again..I'd give my right arm for a green slip..

Dubs

Jayne Neverow said...

Just so you know- Roti King look a lot more like a front for something else these days. Like that "Health Food" store that only had one Nutrament in the fridge. Not sure if you can cop that patti anymore.

A green slip...you wild, Dubs. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Word, type of store w/ dusty chips and one box of tide on the shelf.

Brooklyn is full of those. People never tend to leave with a bag though..hhmmmmm