May 7, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

This Bug will be the first to admit that she has a temper. Over the years (without mandatory Anger Management) I've learned to smooth my ruffled feathers before it lead to catching a case. I could be here all day if I ponder whether that temper derives from genetics, my environment or some other tangible reason. No time for that today. I just wish to pay homage to some angry Hip-Hop for Throwback Thursday. And if anyone had "angry" on smash- it was M.O.P. Now, before I'm met with naysayers who would beg to differ, let me share a little story with you. A few years back, I went to the Lyricist Lounge in NYC. Tall Shawn of Heltah Skeltah was hosting and Lord Digga was in the building. I remember this very well because your boy Ruck made the mistake of introducing him as Rah Digga. Why? I dunno. It may have been an honest mistake- or it may have been his own creative way of calling Lord Digga a bitch. The world may never know...

Anyway, M.O.P. was also in the building and from what I understand there was a 3 song minimum so every artist got their time to shine. Well, I don't know if the folks in charge neglected to tell the Mash Out Posse this little nugget of info- but they got on stage and spit what felt like an entire album. No joke. I'll be honest. After they rocked today's featured throwback- I was ready for them to get off the stage. That aggressive delivery is cool on wax- but live on stage the yelling starts to be a bit much. By the time the sound engineer realized they had gone way over schedule- he tried to disconnect the mics and speakers since his attempt to tell them to stop performing yielded no results. Why did he do this to himself? In a flash- they were on him. I'm not gonna say dude caught the critical beatdown- but he got lumped up pretty good. I saw a few elbows dropped in dude's back. Needless to say Billy Danze and Lil' Fame finished their set undisturbed and basically herbed anyone else who had to shorten their rhyme time in the process. One thing's for sure. Them BK boys don't play. That night- they made ONYX and all those other pseudo-angry emcees look like Cub Scouts, feel me? So...all and together now: How About Some Hardcore?! Yeah we like it RAW !!!



1 comment:

Soups said...

OMG!!!...Straight Jacket!! I seen dem tree times & they go'z in. Heard stories of them back in these days stealing cars to go do shows & going in writing on walls like it's the F-train. LOL!....

Warriors was my album too.

Thx, Jayne once again. Jus now......