May 15, 2009

Lunchtime at Osaka


"Time flies.
Suns rise and shadows fall.
Let it pass by.
Love reigns forever over all."
Handling chopsticks with seasoned expertise, the talk moves to practical things. Mechanics and maniacs. Fortunate times and some less so. Most of the sentences punctuated by an occasional broccoli floret being popped into the mouth. He goes on...No one should take advantage of a lady like that. In goes a morsel of Orange Chicken. Sometimes you have to turn it up on folks so they know what's what. He pauses. Takes a sip of Peach Iced Tea through a straw I am officially envious of. His eyes dart from me to the activity behind me, watching take-out orders travel in and out. Like Malcolm- his back is never to the door. I hear every word and yet I don't. Too busy watching deft fingers manipulate the bamboo. What comes out of his mouth is more delicious than what I see go in. I hear every word. And yet I don't. Manila fortune cookies lay cracked on the table- resting by the check. He has no idea how true mine is.

2 comments:

Soups, Baby! said...

Glorious writing, Jayne. I long to see you in magazines & such. Keep blessing the airwaves with your presence. One Love, Bug.

Jayne Neverow said...

Jah willing...One Love Soups.