May 28, 2009

Throwback Thursdays


Today's Throwback is inspired by one of the most crucial components of Hip-Hop. None other than the emcee. The ones who make it pop. The ones with vocabulary and flow for days. The ones who can make a song about absolutely nothing but showcase their skills with such finesse- no one cares that the title makes no sense. And who did that better than Organized Konfusion? '91/92 (don't quote me) brought us the underground classic Fudge Pudge. To this day, I can't tell you what the song means- but Damn, they came off! Prince Poetry, Pharaoh Monch with then newcomer and guest star O.C. do what they do best on this joint. Back then, they could afford to do something lighthearted since the self-titled debut album touted more cerebral tracks like Prisoners of War and Open Your Eyes. I'm not sure what it is. From the tickling of the piano keys to each MC rhyming with telltale bravado- this song will always have a place in This Bug's heart. Plus it features a chubby Pharaoh Monch before he got unrecognizably fit for Simon Says. He looked more like Pharaoh Monchichi to me by then- but his lyrics were still on point. I'm actually glad someone stole his last piece of chicken. You can't go wrong with a healthier lifestyle. But I digress.

Fudge Pudge is chock-full of witty quotables. They rip the beat from the get-go and never let up. How can you not appreciate Monch admitting that he doesn't have a fancy car but has been blessed in...ahem...other ways. "No I don't have a Benz and no I don't have an Infiniti. I figure the eight inches of ME will be the remedy." And you know what, Fellas? He's right. Hold off on finding a co-signer for that brand new whip. I'm sure plenty of women are willing to pay for a cab themselves to get that sufficiently sized brother delivered to their doorstep. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything... I'm just sayin'. Anyway, this one right here is arguably one of the best underground albums of the '90's. In my humble opinion it falls somewhere between the surprising commercial success of The Low End Theory and the buried treasure obscurity of Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop. All classics in their own right. Oooh, and I like it....


No comments: