April 23, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

In my tireless quest to lay some treats on ya, today's Throwback has all the elements to send you back without having to do 88 in the DeLorean. This one was so close to my heart that if anyone got their hands on This Bug's yearbook- they would see the quote beneath my picture was inspired by none other than Jeru the Damaja. Yeah, I was feelin' the knowledge he was droppin' through his articulate delivery and extensive vocab. Plain and simple- dude was a beast. In 1994 when he released The Sun Rises in the East, I never heard anything quite like it. And to have Primo produce the entire album was just sensory overload to me. Plus, he threw barbs back at Pras of the Fugees later on Me or the Papes and Black Cowboys by the next album. Who the hell was Pras can't-rhyme-too-Well to call him a false prophet? Homeboy had Super Scientifical powers, Okay? It was not going down like that. Nothing like a little healthy Hip-Hop one-upmanship to get the juices flowing.

So, here I am again. It seems like yesterday I was sitting in the back of my English class chopping it up with my girl, Camille about all things Hip-Hop when a guy on the yearbook committee came in with a clipboard. (Cam, you are the truth). You had to write something down if you wanted a quotation under your photo. Depending on the day, I sometimes feel it sounds a little corny- but make no mistake; I am still proud that I wrote down what I feeling at the time. It's still very true to me. "Don't be the children of Mr. Ignorance and his wife, Deceit. As brothers and sisters of today- earn your respect; don't demand it." Really, it just sounded better to me than some old Robert Frost quote and plus, You Can't Stop the Prophet was what I was listening to on my supersized DJ headphones right before I came to class that day. This Bug's favorite line? That's easy. The first line let's you know he's serious from the gate. That beat was tailor made for the Black Prophet's introduction. You know what it is.





Big shout to OhWord.com on their interview with Mr. Ignorance, himself. Straight hilarious. Here's a sample.


OhWord: Now it’s time for a word association game. I’ll say a word, phrase, or name, and you respond with the first thing that comes to mind. Okay – Afrika Islam.

Ignorance: Who’s a what’s it now?

OhWord: N.O.R.E.

Ignorance: Fam.

OhWord: Professor X.

Ignorance: Biter.

OhWord: Fu-Shnickens

Ignorance: Parking attendants.

OhWord: thebreaks.com.

Ignorance: Violatin’!

OhWord: Hip-Hop Blogs.

Ignorance: Banal.

OhWord: Mos Def.

Ignorance: Simian.

OhWord: Busta Rhymes

Ignorance: Gentile.

OhWord: Reggaeton.

Ignorance: Reg-gay-tone.



That's all for today as This Bug signs off. The saga continues...

No comments: