April 16, 2009

Throwback Thursdays


This Bug is feeling a bit more nostalgic than usual. If anyone has been paying attention, 1993 appears to be a very significant year to me. I'm not sure why- but the music from that time instantly takes me back to exactly what I was doing that year. Now, I don't know about you- but when the movie Strapped came out on HBO, it was kind of a big deal. First of all, it had all the embodiment of a 'hood classic. It was set in Brooklyn, featured cameos from some local celebrities ( from around my way, anyway) and the soundtrack was straight fire. Of course, most of the soundtrack was compiled of Onyx songs because of Fredo Starr's role in the movie. Who remembers Fredo walking up to Dequan's building on a mission to the sounds of Nigga Bridges? Whoo! You just knew he was about to turn it up on his snitchin' ass. But I digress.

Today's Throwback comes from a lesser known group by the name of Freestyle Fellowship. Please don't ask me what other songs they have because I have no idea. What I do know is that their collaboration with Daddy-O from Stetsasonic yielded the criminally slept on, jazzy ass tune Inner City Boundaries. And what a tune it was. The vibe still carries me to a simpler time. They rhymed, scatted, spit spoken word poetry and in my opinion lived up to their name. Their flow truly sounded unwritten. I can remember my ace, Noka walking the halls in her over-sized Girbauds and Fila sneaks bellowing the chorus on her way to class. I miss her. She was bugged. Ah, good times. Good times indeed.

I gotta be righteous, I gotta be me
I gotta be conscious, I gotta be free
I gotta be able, I gotta attack.




1 comment:

DUBS said...

I don't know whats crazier, you remembering this song or someone actually having the thought to put this on youtube..Must have been the sour diesel...Damn, 93, when you can put a creative song out and not worry how it would be labeled. Case in point, where the hell is De La Soul..