March 26, 2009

Throwback Thursdays


I don't know if it was art imitating life or vice versa, but there was a lot of music about smoking and drinking back in the 90's. Channel Live was sparkin' Mad Izm, Mobb Deep was Drinkin' Away the Pain, and Cypress Hill were the official spokesmen for the Sensimilla before Dr. Dre's The Chronic. But it was Tha Alkaholiks that showed no shame in getting twisted. Yo, these Cali dudes could rhyme... and drink they asses off. Their first album 21 and Over made me want to drink! Kidding. Well, maybe not. I was there- from the gate. Olde E, Orange Sisco, Easy Jesus and...dare I say it? Mad Dog 20/20. And just to think it all started with some Manischewitz wine way back when. Anyway, 1993 brought the first single Likwit. What I remember well is how I couldn't believe these dudes were from the West Coast. In my ignorance at the time, I thought anything coming from the left sounded like G-Funk and was not worthy of my listening. What can I say? This NY Girl was biased when it came to her Hip-Hop. But Tash and J-Ro had endless liquor soaked rhymes, punchlines for days and great comedic timing. E-Swift & King Tee showed up occasionally to kick a funny verse, too. How can you not appreciate a group that didn't take themselves too seriously. "Every night I pray to God- Please! No more wack emcees!" Finally, someone who felt my pain.

This Bug's favorite line? "Cuz I'm too hot to handle. Got more soul in my pinkie than a niggy pickin' his Afro in a leopard skin Dashiki." What?! Now go rip the skirt off a Crooked Letter for old time's sake and press play...

No comments: