December 14, 2008

Short Story, Long Skirt



The long, olive green peasant skirt
swings ‘round my ankles when I twirl.
SoHo and bohemian with embroidered ivy
curling up the side.
Clinging just there, free-falling here…

I am a gypsy in this skirt.
Able to move mountains, cast a spell.
Make you fall in love.
Make you want to die.

I am irresistible in this skirt.
Not by what it reveals,
but what it conceals.
Dainty ankles,
Gold toned calves,
Sumptuous thighs…
The tempting nectar held within.


He is powerless.
Moving on sheer instinct, he pulls me close and slowly
hitches the skirt up
until it hovers just above my hips.
Proclivity to contact-
weakness evolves into strength.
His hands move freely.
Under the fabric.
Over my skin.
Skirt way above my waist,
a thumb strokes the front of my throat
while remaining fingers
curl behind my neck.
An unassuming…but so very
deliberate touch.


Bewitching in its embellished splendor,
I can hear the gold coin decals
jingle at the hem with sensual movement.
The long olive green peasant skirt
in a pile on the floor...

I am a gypsy still.

3 comments:

Katness said...

We are the strange ones, in boldly-patterned
gypsy skirts, eloquently frilled,
glasses hanging from beaded chains.

We are the strange ones, blowing in
tired heat, groping through yellowed-pages-–3 for $2-–
looking for a plot.

We are the strange ones, in flowing linen
slacks and dainty pink, clip-clopping not sliding,
groping through Tan and Shreve and Kidd,
pulling dollars out of thin air,
(“Excuse me, do you work here?”)
only to disappear
again.

We are the strange ones. We are.

August 2006

Jayne Neverow said...

Amazing. Family cyah hide, eh?

Katness said...

No sah.