December 4, 2008

iTalk : Rise of the Machines


Today I was thinking about how much our technology has superseded our humanism. Every form of communication has been relegated to the lowest personal denominator. Granted, we all know the conveniences of IM's, texting, emails and even the good old fashioned phone call- but it makes me think about how we interact when we are up close and personal.

I myself have always been very conscious of body language and how I speak. As far back as I can remember, I made it a point not to lean into a car while speaking with someone who is seated in it. It never mattered whether it was a man or a woman in the car either. To me, a female leaning in such a manner always looked like 'it' was on sale and the rent was due. Call me a prig. Whatever. But the way we carry ourselves is the direct product of how we see ourselves or market ourselves, so to speak. And while the rent is always due- It ain't ever for sale. Just my take on it, but I digress. I know that what comes out of our mouths is just a distortion of the pure thought we have. To go further, that which comes from our fingertips is an even more processed division of what could be spoken, if that were the medium being used.

When it comes to how far we've technologically advanced- I worry that the common thread has been lost. I once had a friend tell me about receiving an E-card for her birthday from someone she considered a very close friend. In the time it took to browse the internet, make a selection, personalize the card, confirm whether she wanted a copy of the electronic card in question and then finally send it- she could have picked up the phone and simply wished the girl a much appreciated Happy Birthday. Everything is so impersonal these days. Like Badu, I feel a lot like an Analog Girl in a Digital World. There is a vivid disconnect between what we think, feel and actually say/type. How many of you have executed the LOL and hit send when in reality it should have been NRL (not really laughing)? We all want to believe that when we communicate with someone, the real person is shining through. Can we ever really be sure? Doesn't everything look good on paper? It makes me want to update the old adage: If he/she looks good on the LCD screen, make sure that's what you're really getting. In the age of artificial intimacy, don't be afraid to find out just how deep that keystroke really runs. Yes, these are fantastically futuristic times but don't forget to connect, People.

No comments: