July 16, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

Hello B-Boys and B-Girls. Who's feeling nostalgic today? Every now and then, I like to get hit with something that puts me right back where I was when I heard it. Today's Throwback may be a bit obscure for some- but those who feel me will really feel me on this one. Not only does it contain some of the wittiest lyrics but it rides a beat that will definitely make you dig up your Rakim or Cypress Hill tape. Yeah, I said it. Cassette Tape. Because the true heads still have tons and tons of them. You know who you are. Okay Boys and Girls, who remembers the Kings of Swing ? The name may not immediately ring bells, but it will all come back to you soon enough. I think I saw the video only once back in 1991. My girl DJ Cocoa Chanelle does her thing looking fly as ever alongside the fellas. Now, for this one I did some research because one MC's flow sounds curiously similar to EST a.k.a The Unusual Fellow from Three Times Dope. I'm not sure if he did any ghostwriting back then, and I wasn't able to find any affiliation- but check it out for yourself and you'll see what I mean. By the time you're done- how much you wanna bet you'll be humming, "Check out the story to the glory of the Real Estate..." or quoting one of the sick lines from Run for Cover. That beat is simply classic. Told ya you'd want to dig up those tapes. But before you do that- just Nod Ya Head to This.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still have this video on VHS from many Saturday nights of recording "Pump It Up"! Big ups for referencing EST as well- dude was/is criminally underrated.

Jayne Neverow said...

Wow. Pump It Up. I miss it so. And yes, EST is still slept on but at least we are among the few who can appreciate him.

Vibe One said...

Does anyone know where i can get the remix of this, with the sick fdlute sample an the King Louie sample from Jungle Book? If you dig this version, the remix will drive u nuts!