July 25, 2009

Bubbly Yes. Glass No.

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. ~Marsha Norman
So I've been napping a lot more lately and dreaming weird stuff again. Earlier today I dreamt that I was at a huge catering hall for some sort of reception. It was most likely a wedding. I can't say whose it was or why I was there- but there I was. The peculiar thing about the hall was that it shared a space with a funeral home. Oddly enough, guests that were attending either function were allowed to co-mingle with one another. While making my way to the bar for a glass of Champagne, I overhear two people discussing the weddings and funerals they were both respectively attending. As I walk by I'm thinking, "Maybe they should switch just to get an idea of what the other might be feeling..." Anyway, I find the bar in the far wing of the hall and strike up a conversation with the one of the four bartenders working. He looks a lot like the main dude from Party Down but I don't bother to tell him that. Instead I tell him that I used to pour drinks also. He cocks his head in disbelief for a fraction of a moment. Why, I have no idea. Then he pops open a bottle of champagne and I advise him of a pouring technique to minimize the fizz while maintaining the bubbles. He thanks me and then realizes he has no appropriate stemware for me to drink from. Why can't he just wash one for me?

This is where it gets strange. I go on the hunt for my own glass, but there doesn't seem to be a clean one anywhere. Not a single, solitary clean glass. I search high and low and still...nothing. Every glass is either soiled with lipstick or sitting half full and abandoned on tables or mantles when I find them. Not one decent flute for me to sip from. While still on my quest, I run into a friend that I have not spoken to in months. She never lets on whether she is there celebrating a happy couple or mourning a death. I never ask, either. When I tell her what I've been looking for she offers to help. Soon she finds a contraption which looks more like a globe that opens into two hemispheres. It's encased in wrought iron but it could hold liquid if need be. This is clearly not what I need but I'm ready to give in because I want my champagne. She says to me with a bit of sarcasm in her voice that my significant other would probably love it. To myself, I wonder if she knows there is no such thing in my life. Once she hands it to me- it becomes a wine glass, plump and spotless. I quickly thank her for her help and head back to the bar where Party Down guy is. He's gone now and so is the champagne he opened for me. An utter waste of my time. It's just me and the wine glass now. I debate whether I should drop on in the funeral across the way.

The buzzing of a text message pulls me from my dream. I rise and look up the main symbols:


A wedding in your dream symbolizes a new beginning or transition in your current life. They reflect your issues about commitment and independence.

To see the opening of a bottle of champagne, symbolizes a sexual act. Alternatively, it represents extravagance and overindulgence. It also indicates a celebration or a personal achievement that you are proud of.


To dream that you are searching for something, signifies the need to find something that is missing or needed in your life. You may be searching for love, spiritual enlightenment, peace or even a solution to a problem.


To see a friend in your dream, signifies aspects of your personality that you have rejected, but are ready to incorporate and acknowledge these rejected aspects of yourself.

To see a wine glass in your dream, represents happiness. It may also be symbolic of a pregnancy. If you break the wine glass, then it may denote a miscarriage.

If your are dreaming that you are at a funeral of an unknown person, then it suggests that something in your life is supposed to put to rest or put aside so that you can make room for something new. You need to investigate further what aspect or component of your life you need to let go.

I can't say I agree 100% with the interpretations of the symbols, but I'd be lying if I said that some of them didn't strike a chord. There is so much going on with me right now- that nothing I dreamed about sounds totally far-fetched. But if any of the above is true- I so need to get it together. None of this sounds positive but I guess it's all up to my own interpretation. It's not like I was searching for the Holy Grail or anything. If I could just dig a little deeper and find out what that glass in all of its variations really means to me, perhaps I'd be able to understand a lot more of what is happening to me while I'm awake.

2 comments:

Suzy said...

For some reason your interpretation of symbols doesn't show up in Google reader. I know yellow is hard to read but maybe BOLD doesn't appear?

Go to the Sandman, his blog is all about dream interpretation. It's now called The Sandman but used to be called cigamybob or something ridiculous like that.

Jayne Neverow said...

Thanks Suze. I'll check it out.