June 29, 2009

Living Out Loud


Birthdays have never really been my thing. What I mean is, I don't make a big deal about it. No big plans. No parties. No blowout celebration. My train of thought was usually, 'It's just one year older. Nothing special.' There were a few reasons for that summation. After I turned 15, it was all pretty much downhill from there. You see, my birthday usually fell around the same time as an event called Greek Fest. It may have started as a way for fraternities and sororities to get together and represent their cause (whatever that may be- but that's another blog entry) but it turned into what would be more appropriately called Flesh Fest. Tons of young men and women literally showing their asses. Anyway, because of the timing- most of my friends forgot my birthday while caught up in the gaiety of these festivities and after-parties. So I got used to celebrating my birthday quietly- since I never wanted to partake in the debauchery of those events. Either way, I don't think it even goes on anymore but the anniversary of my birth normally passed without fanfare.

Well, this year was different. My birthday was kind of a big deal. I had more fun (and Patron and Grey Goose) than I've had in a long, long time. I danced. I drank. I showed up...and showed out. I was three sheets to the wind and never better. I'm talkin' joyfully twisted! It's funny because my birthday came two days after the death of the legendary Michael Jackson. For some reason, his spirit and memory seemed to fuel my good cheer even though I was shocked and saddened by the news. Every time I heard an MJ song this weekend, my soul soared and I celebrated his life as well as mine. I was reminded of how much there is to enjoy about my life. I was reflective and noticed that my outlook on life is so vastly different from as little as six months ago. You have to make it count. I know you hear that all the time- but I can tell you that it's exhilarating when you actually apply it. I'm not looking back. I absolutely cannot wait to see what another year brings.

Anyhow-I never thought I'd do this, but This Bug is about to forfeit some of her anonymity just to show you what a frickin' fantastic time was had.

Happy Birthday to ME !
"Since the face been revealed- game got real." -Apollo Kids, Ghostface Killah

No comments: