June 11, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

Peace Peoples. I was going through my Throwback Thursday archives that I have painstakingly brought to you since...Oh I dunno...since February? It feels longer. It's such a labor of love, you know? Anyway, while perusing my past treats it struck me that I have yet to show any love to the Ladies of Hip Hop. How can that be? But today all that will change.

Check it. When I was in 7th grade I had a Sony Walkman with... wait for it...Megabass. Did it make much of a difference? Hell no. But I can remember walking to school and bumpin' Monie Love's tape. To be truthful, I wasn't crazy about the entire Down To Earth album, but she had a few joints on there that I continuously rewound. (Why does rewinded sound better to me in this context? Eff what Spell Check says.) Anyway, It's A Shame was one of those songs. What a Brit Hop darling she was. From across the pond she was schooling sistas on a topic that is just as crucial today as it was in 1990. If you lose yourself in some dude- you should map your way back to yourself ASAP. Her advice was stern without browbeating. She kept it sincere. There comes a time when you have to say, "I'm out. No matter how much I love you- I have to love myself more." I always loved the Spanish guitars in this one. I literally see familiar houses in my mind's eye when I hear this song. It puts me right back on the block- and in the here and now at the same time. Not many songs can do that to me. Monie does her thing and reminds you that there is indeed love after heartbreak. Self Love. Because the most important relationship you will ever be in is the one you have with yourself. This Bug's favorite line? It's hard to pin down just one but here goes: "Makin' sure you get the full entire view-Of who's to blame at the end of the game. Things will never be the same. And it's a cryin' shame."


No comments: