June 4, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

This Bug is back on this fine Thursday to bring you a bittersweet treat. Man...listen. We're in a recession. Everyone is feelin' it. I'm not saying I'm ready to run up on someone and tell 'em to Give Up the Goods, but I can definitely feel the sentiment behind Mobb Deep's message. Stick up kids is out to tax. Ain't a damn thing changed. What I love about this video is that there was no reaching in it. Honestly, I couldn't have written a better treatment for this video. This was just an illustration of what looked to me- like the average Saturday night in QB. Drinks pouring, dudes chillin' and the occasional and necessary jooks. Prodigy and Havoc lay it down and walk us through what goes on around the way. Big Noyd reps hard on this one, too. I've kept an eye on Mobb since they showed up in The Source's Unsigned Hype section many moons ago. These dudes seemed to have it all. Tight production, signature lyrics and exclusive terms (I'm out for delfia- It's healthier.) and an unapologetic way of truth-telling. They were hardbody. This is the part where you try your best not to picture Prodigy in dance attire. (Damn, Jay was wrong for that one.) Anyway, I can never tire of this video. The gangsta in me loves when homegirl gets hemmed up in the ladies room for tryin' to style on the other two. Love the camera angle. You can feel the violence of that moment. Work of art. It hurts me that it ends without P's last verse, though. One of This Bug's favorite lines was up in there. " First of all slow down, you on the wrong route. Let me put you on your feet and show you what's it all about..." And show you he does. You can't just pass through shining and expect not to get looked at like good food. Times is hard. You can get it. So their advice is quite valuable: Just Step.



1 comment:

Soups Saves said...

Hmm, for some strange reason I feel like a sweet jux & some Henny-Mo!

Thx Jayne, back to the therapist for me. Ur da best, babe. (sigh)>:-l