February 21, 2010

Pricey Java, Priceless Times

"Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things." ~Author Unknown

We're offered the couch in the furthermost corner of the coffeehouse. It's erratically decorated and dimly lit. The one place that's Halloween all year round but never creepy. Instead, it's cozy. And prime for catch-up conversation over Ginger Peach Tea and a tall Hot Cocoa. This meeting is impromptu and long overdue. So much is always happening in our individual lives. We keep missing each other for some reason or another, but not tonight. Tonight we relate and debate. Speak of love and changes and how love changes everything. He is one of my few touchstones. He knows what's going on without my having to relay the gory details but still listens intently; not just awaiting his chance to speak. By the time my chocolate pecan pie arrives, we're up to speed and still giggling at my sorry attempt at replicating their recipe. "I think it was too much corn syrup. But... it smelled just like this." Deep down, we both know I was cursed by the Witches for trying to copy something so divine as their ethereal pastries. We share secrets and a gallon of laughter that may as well be wine. I am giddy. Our time is nothing short of rejuvenating. As always. We make plans for the weekend. A clash for sure; since his life is a whirlwind of festivities in comparison to my homebody habits. He is wise beyond his years and too fashionable for his own good.
He is, quite simply, a treasure.




No comments: