September 30, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

Today's Throwback is dedicated to all the fly guys (and fly girls) out there. This one comes by way of Superlover Cee and Casanova Rud. I don't have a huge background story for Girls I Got 'Em Locked. What I do have are countless memories from having this video on VHS. Do me a favor and just peep the hairstyles, the dancing, the outfits. There was nothing like it and there won't ever be anything of the kind to compare to that time. I remember dudes around the way doing 'The James' in MCM suits. Rockin' two cuts in the eyebrow. (It was fly when Kane did it.) I hear this song and instantly recall dookie rope chains and asymmetrical Salt 'n Pepa haircuts with one side shaved. My Pops was not having the gold spray designs even though he financed my weekly hair appointments. Nefertiti earrings where the jewel was her earring and two-finger rings. I was there, yo. It was a feeling. An era like no other. Either you lived it or you didn't. So what have we learned today, Boys and Girls? Short and sweet: Fly is a lifestyle. Nothing beats confidence. These dudes had it on lock. "Now c'mon. Get on. Get some. Stop yellin' it."



No comments: