August 27, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

By now it should be common knowledge that This Bug will never post a video that she doesn't like. But every now and then, I have to post one that I absolutely love. There is so much to say about today's Throwback. First of all, it's from a soundtrack that ultimately got more shine than the film it accompanied. It was comprised of some of the most talented artists of all time. Oddly enough, I could listen to this straight through without skipping any tracks. That's saying a lot considering my attention span. I don't have A.D.D. or anything..it's just that (Oooh look! A bunny !)...I lose interest early if something doesn't grab me and hold on, musically. Well amid some of the nicest emcees on there- these dudes stood out. Call them what you want. Coco Brovaz, Smif N Wessun, whatever your preference may be; there is no denying how hard they rep on the Soul in the Hole soundtrack with Won on Won. This video came out in 1997 when I was really not feeling all the shiny suits and disco that was passing for Hip-Hop. I always loved how silly it was without them making buffoons of themselves. It just looked like fun to be there. And there's so much entertainment in this one. If I ever meet Tek or Steele on the streets of BK, I have one question: Did ya'll really invite Ahkmed from the store down to the video shoot? He goes in with the dancing too, which makes it all the more bizarre and hilarious. Sidebar: Why the hell were they soaking in twin bathtubs full of red Kool-Aid? Well, at least it wasn't grape. I won't even give a favorite line from this joint since the whole song is crrrrack! But I can't front. As Tek slips off the Avirex while spittin' "Son, hold my AV- lemme rock this Nobody. Comin' out the closet tryna stop my money?" I feel a brimming respect for cats from the thoroughest borough. Brooklyn Stand Up!

No comments: