August 6, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

Say what you want about New Jack Swing, it still has it's place in Hip-Hop. That being said...I also have throw my disclaimer out there before we get into today's Throwback. This Bug used to love herself some Redhead Kingpin. Love. Understand? And it's not about light-skinned brothers being the shit back in the day either. I felt him on a deeper level at the ripe old age of...Oh, I dunno...twelve? Seriously, I always loved this video. This was back when people actually danced and he and the F.B.I. had some moves. Although Scoob and Scrap Lover could put them to shame on any given day. On top of that, the message of the song was a call to action. Red obviously felt moved enough to pen a song about crime, racism and the need for the Hip-Hop community to get it together. Sidebar: This song dropped the same year as Spike Lee's most notable film of the same title. But I guess Public Enemy held the honor of making the signature song. Red still did his thing. He didn't look half bad while doing it, either. (No, that's not drool on my keyboard...just giving props okay?) Anyway-it's not his fault that Diddy's predecessor left his mark with a pop sound that didn't match the harder beats that were a mainstay in Hip-Hop back then. Damn you, Teddy Riley! With an RNB hook sung by the frontman of Today, Redhead Kingpin was concise while remaining laid back. It's that effortless, matter-of-fact delivery that I always liked about this joint. I can picture him just laying it down very quickly in the studio and then bouncing to some club later with some big butt freaks in spandex dresses. That might have been his inspiration for Pump It Hottie but that's a whole other entry. For now just Do The Right Thing and watch the video. This Bug's favorite line? "I asked my man Victor what he used to do for fun, he said he learned to shoot a gun before the age of 21." FYI: I still have this on vinyl. The album cover is little warped from all the drool. Sike! Well, maybe not...



No comments: