February 26, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

As promised, This Bug is bringing you another blast from the past on this fine Throwback Thursday. I know it's probably going to get harder and harder to stay with me on some of these but alas- I have to do it. They are my joints and my memories- I just want to share.

Not very many people may remember Antexx or his underrated single Understand Me, Vanessa. Honestly, I may not have either but the year was 1991 and without anyone pulling my coat to the importance of this Hip-Hop thing- I recorded tons of videos in an effort to preserve what was taking place. I knew the movement was special. This was one of those videos. The beat was cool, the storyline was interesting enough and the sepia toned film made for a unique look of videos at the time. Sidebar: There's also a very Trini lookin' boy rocking a Marvin the Martian shirt in here. I. Freakin'. Loved. Marvin. Understand? I had about 8 of those shirts with him in various poses brandishing his "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator".

Anyway, we all knew that stuck up girl that gave dudes around the way no time but then suddenly changed her tune when one appeared to sweat her. Well, in this case it was Vanessa- and Antexx was NOT havin' it. Favorite line? "Call yourself on Sunday and on Monday pay the bill." Ha!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here you go!! Ahhh yes sugar, keep waking up the slumber with the gone but not forgotten. I still think ya pops use to work for Black Beat, WOrd Up!, Right On....something. LOL. Keep it coming, Ma! luv.