November 23, 2008

Confessions of an all grown up B-Girl


Since it's been a key element to my existence and the soundtrack to my life for the most part, these are some of my random Hip-Hop related musings and confessions.
  • The Fat Boys were always wack to me. Always. Wack.
  • My friend to the end, Jill and I were the Sydney and Sheraine of basement house parties...Especially when BBD's Poison came on.
  • Oh, the things I wanted to do to Redhead Kingpin at just 12 years old. It made no sense.
  • Jay Z has not done anything to impress me wholly since Reasonable Doubt. When he comes with the same hunger as he did on 22 Two's- I'll think about purchasing an album. The operative word being think.
  • I'm still amazed that B.I.G. made it uncool to like Kwame with ONE line. Ouch.
  • Was I the only one that realized Common was saying, "Relax yourself, Girl. Be so clear." during the VH1 2008 Hip Hop Honors? Q-tip laid this little mystery to rest when he said the sample during Electric Relaxation is repeatedly stating "Girl, please settle down."
  • I once witnessed M.O.P. straight jack fools for stage time and the sound guy almost got duffed out for trying to disconnect their mics. True story.
  • It doesn't bother me so much anymore that Talib Kweli looks like a turtle.
  • The Rainy Dayz remix is definitely Diamond D's best production work. Hands down.
  • Part of the reason Boiler Room was such a dope flick was the sick ass soundtrack.
  • Although my two pairs of bamboo earrings have been replaced with solitary chandeliers, I still feel like an Around the Way Girl at heart.

4 comments:

cferna said...

Listen to Blueprint 2, I mean really listen to it and you'll find that Jay Z still had skills this decade.

Listening to M.O.P. makes me feel like I can take on the world and a couple of stragglers. Now you know I am a 4'11" nobody from Uniondale, but they still make me feel invincible.

One of the saddest things to ever happen to hip hop is Mos Def's departure from it without fully realizing this potential (what do you think?) I will say this, though, that cat has made the right financial decision by concentrating on a his acting career. Nonetheless, it's doubtful that he will reach the status of Will Smith and/or Marky Mark, though he's both a better actor and rapper than either of them.

BTW, keep up the writing, I'm reading the posts as they come. You've inspired me to start my own, very basic blog: http://blog.carlosf.info.

Best,
Carlos

cferna said...

Ok, starting to think I may need to remove Will Smith from the bad actors' list.

Jayne Neverow said...

I know what you mean. Pursuit of Happyness actually did that for me. Plus his new movie looks pretty good. Either way, he's 100x better than Ja Rule, DMX, Busta, LL Cool J, 50 Cent...did I leave anyone out?

T.A.N. said...

This was hot.

Laughed at Fat Boys, though obviously they have a free lifetime pass.

If you can't appreciate The Black Album.... no words.

B.I.'s line came after Kwame was done. Plus dude's making renaissance man paper these days. so shortsighted on two fronts.

Common flubbing Tribe is awesome.

Boiler Room shout reminds me that i recently re-discovered High School High soundtrack. Not as good, but some nice flashbacks on there.

peece