November 22, 2010

No Business Like Show Business


"Kid, ya gonna be large!!!"
                                             
Underground.  Underestimated. Undervalued. Golden Era.  Those are the words that come to mind when I think of EPMD. Never in the history of Hip Hop has there been a duo who stood the test of time like these two. And yet, I still don't feel like they get the proper credit they deserve.  Last week, I was blessed with a live performance by them at the Knitting Factory- and it was everything I expected from this legendary pair.  Eric Sermon and Parrish Smith have always literally been about their business.  Check the resume: Strictly Business (1988), Unfinished Business (1989), Business As Usual (1990), Business, Never Personal (1992) Back in Business (1997) Out of Business (1999) We Mean Business (2008).  And nothing has changed.  They still  make it their biz to command a crowd without being extra. They give the people what they want. No theatrics. No pyrotechnics.  Just dope beats and lyrics coming out of Long Island, NY.

Of course they did what they do best. Rough Rugged and Raw.  Eric and Parrish launched into Please Listen to My Demo and the hits didn't stop coming.  Backed by the equally legendary DJ Scratch on the turntables, they ran through their catalog of singles that hits just has hard as it did back in '88 and beyond.  There's something about how the beat to Strictly Business starts up that just takes you somewhere.  I looked around at the sea of faces and watched as they recited every lyric in sync with them.  A part of me was waiting for LL to jump out during Rampage, or even Redman for the Headbanger but it wasn't even necessary.  They held it down- just the two of them. Going line for line on joints like You Gots To Chill, Crossover, Jane and So Wat Chu Sayin', they haven't lost their touch.  Not by a long shot.  That effortless flow and the easy way they exchange verses comes from years of really knowing one another and knowing what works. They are tried and true crowd pleasers because they've mastered that formula. And they understand how important it is for that brand of Hip Hop to remain relevant.  The Green Eyed Bandit kept it a hundred when he said onstage that he's not a broke ass hater.  Make no mistake. It's just that most of what you hear nowadays is wack.  That's how he launched into Da Joint. And I quote, "It's not about me fallin' off. I'm good. It's not that I don't have money.  Matta fact...I make a million bucks..." Ooh wee...that was hot.

Still, it would have been nice to hear the classic Gold Digger before they departed. Or even the lesser known It's Going Down off the Juice Soundtrack- just for the die hards such as myself.  I mean...they were among the patrons gettin' stuck up by Blizzard in the bar at like 11 in the morning.  Ha! Remember that?  Shout out to my peoples, Dinco D who I saw up in there. I'll be back in the building next month to check his performance with Leaders of the New School  and Son of Beserk.  All in all, it was a really good show. They closed with Just Like Music off Eric's solo mission and everyone left satisified. It made me realize that when it comes to Eric and Parrish Making Dollars, I'll always make it MY BUSINESS to show love. 

Now press play...

No comments: