July 15, 2010

Throwback Thursdays


When I think of Boston, usually what comes to mind is Boston Baked Beans. You know, those little candy coated peanuts you used to cop from the ice cream truck back in the day? Yeah. They still sell those around the way. (Note to self: Stop at the bodega after work tomorrow.) Or the Boston Tea Party, which was one of the ballsiest and iconic events that went down in American political history. This Bug has always been of the opinion that it would have gone down a whole lot differently had it been the Boston "Tree" Party. No way you can toss the same amount of weed overboard like that and not see some real violence ensue. I'm just sayin'... But what's funny is that I don't immediately think of one of the most slept on dudes hailing from Beantown. Call me biased- but NY holds it down. Outside of Guru, I don't have a whole lot of love for anyone or anything that comes out of that city. But Ed OG and the Bulldogs slid up on the scene back in 1991 and I always respected him as an emcee. Lyrically, you can't get much simpler than Ed- but flow is what he had on his side. Today's Throwback always takes me back to a time that was just as simple and clear cut as the words of the song. And it perfectly articulates my sentiment for the Old Skool. This Bug's favorite line? "We didn't get in there so you could get in wit us. You wasn't down when we was ridin' the bus. So put on your Adidas and step off! " I Got To Have It.


No comments: