March 29, 2010

All Souled Out: Erykah Evolving



"They play it safe..." -E. Badu

Listen. The only one who can ever outdo Erykah Badu is Erykah Badu. She has done it again. I recently posted her latest video on my Facebook page with a preceding note that implored the masses "not to miss the jewel" in this one. I needed a window seat myself, not too long ago. Upon my return from the solo excursion, the song seemed so fitting I decided to add it to the entry before I ever saw the official video. Just as I thought, some people are up in arms over the content of the video, enough to make the news. But you know what? If you listen to her monologue at the end, this is precisely what she was speaking of. The scrutiny. This widespread need to place something in a nice, neat box. Because as long as it's categorized properly- the assumption is that they are safe from it. And if it looks too strange, somewhat foreign, or worse yet- makes sense enough to leave their comfort zone, then do away with it at once! But that's no way to grow. I love how X marks the spot, too. (As a youth, This Bug was virtually obsessed with the JFK assassination. Real talk.) I have no doubt this video will get tongues wagging (and possibly hanging out of some mouths) but once the shock factor subsides, Ms. Badu gives us plenty to think about. Her message is more visceral than visual. By the way, it has vanished from Youtube. Watch it here. Weigh in. Sound off. Why not? You owe it to no one but yourself.

No comments: