March 18, 2010

Throwback Thursdays

What up, Peoples. I'm back with one from my own personal archives for today's Throwback. I had this video on VHS tape back in the day and recently blew the dust off of it and pressed play. Truthfully, I almost forgot how profound this song was. It was always a cautionary tale about how quickly things could get out of hand. Now that I'm older I have a heartfelt appreciation for it due to the things life has shown me. How real it can get. D-Nice dropped To Tha Rescue in 1991. I never copped it but I made it my business to record this video. 25 Ta Life takes you through a day that starts out like any other. He sets the tone by detailing the weather and how he opts to smoke over drinking on such a sweltering day. The black and white video is nice touch. You feel the grit of his lament in a way that would have been lost had it been shot in color. He's on the block, meets some shorties and soon thereafter- things spiral out of control with blinding speed. The day becomes anything but typical. The first day of the rest of his life, so to speak. I won't get into it. I'll just let the TR-808 relay what can happen if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. This one's dedicated to my nephew in essence. Choc, hold ya head. One Love.

No comments: