January 28, 2010

Throwback Thursdays

Throwback Thursdays are here again, People! It feels so good to be back. It kinda feels like a sunny day back in High School with all my friends. Chillin'. Crackin' jokes. Playin' games. So it's only right that I return with a tasty treat that puts you where I am nostalgically. De La Soul always puts me in the right frame of mind. Relaxed but focused all at once. This joint encompasses that entire vibe. Lyrically, they deliver artful metaphors and witty quips. But what I always loved was the video. It was shot at a High School and the cameo list read like a virtual Who's Who of Hip-Hop at the time. To me, every artist that appears holds their weight. Look closely and you'll see Organized Konfusion stickin' up the chubby kid for his lunch money. Monie Love holds it down with Trugoy in the schoolyard. Jungle Brothers, Prince Paul, ?uestlove and Black Thought of The Roots, Lords of the Underground, Yung Zee from the Outsidaz, GURU, Kid Capri, Pete Rock and the lovely ladies of Zhane. Even Li'l Neek and DJ Jus joined in the fun. (They were so cute.) And OMG, Comedian Drew Fraser as the Lunch Lady...Priceless. Seen him live more than a few times...He is the truth. I'm sure there are few that even I missed. The cool thing about this is that they're not even on the track. They just all showed up for the love of De La. It looked like a lot of fun to make. This Bug's favorite line? "While you actin' all spicy and shiesty, the only Italians you know is Icee!" I always wondered how the Firm pseudo-gangsters took that one back then. Anyhow, every now and then a video comes along that makes you like the song that much more. I can definitely say that about Biggie's One More Chance and I can say it with ease for Itzsoweezee. Just some good people having a good ole time...and who doesn't need more of that these days? Enjoy.

No comments: