January 5, 2009

Newports, Winston-Salems, Marlboro Lights...Buh Bye Now.


At the expense of sounding like I was jumping on the New Years resolution bandwagon, I chose to quietly stop smoking recently. It had nothing to do with a new beginning and a clean slate. It was just something I was ready to do, so I did it. Honestly, I am astounded by the incredible ease with which I pulled off this task. All this coming from someone who has torn off her nicotine patch in order to take a nice, long pull of a menthol cigarette. I wish I could explain how after over a decade of this nasty little habit I was able to just walk away. No gum, no patch, no hypnosis. Cold turkey. I just don't want to do it anymore. Which by the way I understand has the highest failure rate, but I'm not even worried. So far I've successfully had a stiff drink and satisfying meal without feeling the urge to light up afterward. And as for that post-coital smoke that so many can't live without- believe me, it's overrated if not mythical.

So while I'm walking this new smoke-free path, I'd like to share some of the wonderful results I have been experiencing thus far.

1. When I lie down on the pillow I am no longer overwhelmed by that "Forest Fire" smell that used to consume my hair.

2. Brighter eyes. Whiter teeth. Clearer skin. What can be better?

3. It just dawned on me that my family will really be happy once they notice I'm doing something to stick around a bit longer. Yay!

4. No need to spray my Carol's Daughter Pearl perfume from head-to-toe before entering an enclosed space.

5. Guess who won't be freezing her sweet cheeks off in below freezing weather for the sake of a cig?

6. My energy level has gone way up and I suddenly have a new appreciation for Soup for some reason...



7. No more Brokemans -rhymes with bumming for a damn cigarette.

8. I am free to enjoy a more healthful life as opposed to slowly killing myself and aging rapidly while doing so.

9. So much for wasting over $25 a week. I did the math and my savings will fund a nice little dash to Vegas this same time next year. Watch my smoke! No pun intended.

Yes, some of my reasons are a bit on the vain or superficial side but guess what? I've learned not to question positive motivation. I just moved with it and so far...so good. As it turns out, it took the Magical Amount for This Bug to walk away. Sometimes the hardest habit to break becomes the easiest one to dismiss. Life is funny like that I guess.

Photo Courtesy: Corbis


1 comment:

Bucci said...

that is by FAR my most favorite "Truth" commercial.
hollllllla at their artistry.