April 15, 2010

Throwback Thursdays

Picture it. NY. 1991. All I cared about was buggin' out and having fun. Back then it was all about going shopping on the Ave. (That's Jamaica Avenue in Queens for all you non-New Yorkers) and trooping to house parties- unless of course someone had a car, which was rare but we made it happen either way. Well Today's Throwback is dedicated to those times. I had this song on a cassette single tape. The B-side was just the instrumental but it knocked just as hard as the one with the lyrics. The piano riff and what I believe to be a pre-Autotune voice adding to the hook made this joint too tough for words. Nikki D came so correct on Hang on Kid. She spoke of the angst and need for acceptance so many teenagers experience when coming up. I could also relate to the relationship she had with her Pops, simply by her references to him in this song. Something about it is melancholy but just...real. Even the dude who rhymed on the second verse (forgive me-I never really knew his name) makes you feel like you've been there a time or two in your early adolescence. I felt him on that. It was sincere. Anyway, shout out to my peoples for life, Smith. He used to rock the white 1988 Nissan Stanza. Remember those? We'd be six deep in that little sedan. His shocks must've hated us. He'd scoop the whole crew and I would always make sure I had this tape with me to bump in his whip. Those were good times- even if I related more than I cared to admit to needing some rescue myself back then. This Bug's favorite line? "Somehow. Some way, somehere. Someone'll lift me up swift. I be left with one breath that says Hang on, Kid." And yes, this is another one from the VHS Vaults of This Bug . Had this one recorded right before Poor Righteous Teachers' Shakiyla but that's another entry.

Out.




1 comment:

the 1 n Only... said...

I still have this cassette single. A true classic.

Ya did it again, Bug.

"Keep a Tight Grip, Kid."


-_*
-