August 12, 2008

Once more, With Feeling


If we're only as good as our best effort, why do we sometimes give less than that? I examine this periodically, not out of judgment on others, but judgment of myself.
We all have an instinct, an intuition that lets us know: This is it. It's now or never. Give it all you have and nothing less.

I am prime procrastinator de facto. It's true. There are times when I know something should have been done, but it lies there for me waiting for me to...do the doing, if that makes any sense. I used to blame it on my zodiac sign. The wayward crab who seems to be walking sideways with no true direction. Only to the untrained eye do Cancers appear to be adrift. Here's a little known fact: We know exactly where we're headed. With me, the trouble is not in the going but in the getting started. At the same token, once I decide to do something, I am a rabid dog. I am Cujo at the station wagon. There is no relenting until I'm finished. Completion is important but what is there to complete if you never start?

I have a million ideas floating around in my head. Countless scraps of paper strewn about are proof positive that the writer in me is alive and kicking. Now all I have to do is get them down in legible format and pitch them to the proper vehicle. Once the drumming begins, the cadence is undeniable.

It's times like these that you have to draw on whatever inspires you. Granted, it all comes from within but it never hurts to look outwardly for motivation. That being said, I want to send a special thanks to all that have inspired me when my best effort was not even born yet. The nudge, the tough love, the brutal but fundamental honesty.

You know who you are.

1 comment:

Donovan said...

I really like your blog.

Just thought I'd share.