December 21, 2010

Judge not



I've heard it all my life. So have you.  "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."  As a youngster, this idiom was never fully explained to me.  I just knew it involved stones and glass. Common sense told me that the thrower could just as easily be hurt if his target decided to return fire.  If anything, the one in the glass house would be worse off- since shattered glass causes the kind of damage that stones do not.  No less dangerous.  Just different.

Just for today- a twist on an old adage: Don't go throwing stones in a Plexiglass house. Yes, it's harder to see and doesn't break nearly as easily. It feels safe. But you have to come out someday.  What then? Nobody's bulletproof.

Throw your stones in a house of mirrors instead and maybe then you’ll see enough to tell the truth and know it when it falls upon your ears.

No comments: