September 16, 2010

Throwback Thursdays


Hello B-Boys and B-Girls. In keeping with a recent post (see below) This Bug is paying homage to a simpler time. A time resolute with "keeping it real" before it became an overused and antiquated term that even requires quotes now. There was a time when genuine Thug Love could be expressed without coming off soft. Enter the Hip-Hop duet to end all Hip-Hop duets. You know the one. The Ticallian Stallion and the Queen dropped I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need in 1995. Method Man and Mary J. Blige showed what comes from a perfect pairing of talents. I don't attach any special merit to awards, but the fact that it won a Grammy speaks volumes for how far the genre itself had come. Anyway, a classic is always a classic. And the revamped version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 1968 hit You're All I Need to Get By is an amped up tribute to its predecessor. Meth and Mary did it well for my generation. Period. This Bug's favorite line? "Even if I'm locked up North, you in the world rockin' three fourths of cloth. Never showin' your stuff off, Boo." Ah, pure 'hood poetry. Enjoy the vid and then take in the original since really and truly...no one can do it like Marvin and Tammi. Shout out to my boy Coco who messed up everybody's head at his wedding when he and his wife came out to the original and then broke out into a fly dance as the DJ mixed in the Meth and Mary version. It was dope.








1 comment:

Suzy said...

Marvin and Tammi and THAT SONG. I don't think it gets any better than that.

I still can never believe the world lost Marvin Gaye so long ago.

When I went away to college in France I had a Motown album with me and I played I Heard It Through The Grapevine into the GROUND.

That and my man Smokey. The good ole days.