September 13, 2010

Mary Mary, Quite Contrary


(Sigh) Where do I begin? Let's start by saying that no one has to agree with me on this one. This Bug is not afraid to hold an unpopular opinion. It's my opinion and there's nothing humble about it. It's mine. Also, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Awhile back, a good friend and I were talking and the same sentiment was expressed. I really thought it was just me! So let's cut straight to the chase. I miss Cokehead Mary. I miss raw Mary. I miss Mary who sang from a place that was heartfelt albeit troubled. Don't get me wrong. I'm just as glad as the next person that she got her life together, got married, found God and seems to be living a pretty stable life. But her music suffered. It seems like the soul of her songs has gone elsewhere. I don't know where- but it's just not present anymore. Mary seems to have more prosperous things at hand. Take for example, her latest perfume slinging endeavor on the Home Shopping Network.


My official WTF moment came recently when I was flipping through channels late one night and saw Ms. Blige on HSN. Huh? Really Mary...Really? I don't know about you but this pretty much sealed the deal for me. It's bad enough her music lost that...oomph once she straightened up her life but seriously, selling a fragrance named after the classic album that solidified her as the Queen of Hip Hop Soul is just disrespectful to her own legacy if you ask me. I said it before. I grew up with Mary. She saw me through trials and tribulations of my own young life and I'm eternally grateful that her music was present in those trying times. It's that fact that makes it hard for me to accept the boring, humdrum, commercial Pop star cut-out that she has devolved into. Show of hands...who remembers raw Mary? Mary J. Blige circa '93. Yeah...that one.


When Mary was in her heyday- she was the quintessential 'hood chick that I could relate to. She belted out her songs over some bass heavy beats and she held her own with her Hip Hop contemporaries. She was that cool ass chick. Her music and persona seemed to channel the tragic soulfulness of Billie Holiday. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that she was my generation's Billie. No one knew just how deep her troubles ran with former boyfriend, K-Ci. It wasn't until years later she spoke of her abusive and drug-laden relationship with the former Jodeci member. Looking back on it, they might have been the 90's version of Ike and Tina. I dunno. What I do know is that her music resonated with me on the deepest level before she started doing duets with Elton John and George Michael. Make no mistake- I'm not knocking her musical and professional growth one bit. But Mary and Meth...Mary and Keith Murray...Mary and Grand Puba...we'll never see anything like that happen again. Mark my words. She's good and gone and she ain't lookin' back. It's almost as if everything and everyone from that time period had to go. A clearcut case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you ask me.

Anyway, this is not about 'hateration' or 'holleration' in this Danceree...(Boy, she lost me on that one. I cannot stand that song to this day.) I don't even doubt the sincerity of her music. I just want to express how much I miss the Mary I once knew and loved. She had spunk. She would cuss you out. And she wasn't afraid to show vulnerability. It seems the new and improved Mary is so empowered that she forgot all about the rest of us. Those who need to hear that we're not the only ones feeling less than stellar sometimes. I understand it's about No More Drama- but it seems like she forfeited so much while declaring that. I don't care if she has more money. The wardrobe and hair has always been tight. That's a part of what made her Mary. But something is missing now. Should I just get over it? Pick up the phone and order a bottle of My Life along with a free sassy little clutch bag? I just can't see it. Sorry. No. Tell the truth. When's the last time she released a joint that could even compare to I Love You with Smif n Wesson? Or a true to life anthem like Not Gon' Cry? If there's a way she can return to the impassioned renditions of her tunes and the 'round the way girl collaborations with real emcees (Um, yeah Drake.. relax for a sec, please) without having to do a bump off her dressing room vanity mirror- This Bug is all for it. But if a shot of Henny brings it all back, I mean raw, circa 93 Mary- then I say we sneak some into her freshly squeezed OJ backstage, sit back and wait for her to buss out with the You Don't Have to Worry remix. Somebody call Craig Mack. I'm ready to do this.


Until then...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my friend thi is so very true....Mary seriously was the soundtrack to my teenage and early 20s. Shoot every time I listed to What's the 411 I get flashbacks. Things haven't been the same in a while thoug...I mean what the hell is a danceree anyway?? But if you down to do a recon mission with the Hen just let a sister know...I'm down lol

Anonymous said...

And I liked this so much I blasted you on Twitter :)

Jayne Neverow said...

Candy Girl, you're the best. Don't let anyone tell you different. =)