October 15, 2009

Throwback Thursdays

What up, Peoples. This Bug is back with another treat for you. I could wax poetic on the evolution of Common but we'd be here all day and I have shit to do. So let's take this stroll down memory lane real quick. One of my favorite years of all time was 1992. I was young, wild and loving me some Hip-Hop. I can reach in a pluck various memories from that time with ease. Lots of trees to twist. Lots of brew being guzzled. Lots of partying. It was... what it was. And I had the perfect soundtrack to do it all to. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better- Can I Borrow A Dollar? is released. The critic in me wants to go in on what a classic album this still is but I just want you to vibe on your own. And if you had this tape, you'll feel me on this one. Fortunately, This Bug never needed to borrow a dollar. I was straight with only $5 lunch money for a Dutch, an Arizona Iced Tea and a tre bag for self. Yeah, those were the days. Ahh... Soul By the Pound. First of all, any song that samples the voices of Grand Puba, Q-Tip and Redman with such finesse deserves a standing ovation. And the beat... What?! Few and far between are basslines that knock like this one. This joint proved that Common was a Chicago-getter from the gate. There are so many witty lyrics in this that I can't even nail down one for a favorite. He spoke the truth, though. I didn't bother to see CB4 back then either. "Do you even know where I'm goin'? " It doesn't even matter cuz now I gotta go-go...






Author's Note: Today's Throwback is dedicated to my homie for life. He was there for that raw Hip-Hop shit. Slick Nick- you are the truth. We lived it, my dude.

1 comment:

YBE Inc. said...

Nice. 92 was a good year for all of us that were from that era. Tre bags and all babe..