June 3, 2010

Throwback Thursdays


What up, People. It's been a minute since Throwback Thursdays. Things are starting to heat up outside and I can't think of a better way to usher in the summer than with this video. Hope you don't mind not watching it here. Youtube is acting up with this one, so be sure to click the link at the end. Anyway... I'm taking ya'll way back to '89 (cuz I'm goin' for mine). This video featured a pool party that I still wish I was at twenty years later. Antoinette was one of the few females who was really doing it back then in terms of Hip-Hop and Rap. Shake, Rattle and Roll was the first single off her debut album, Who's the Boss. Did I have the album? No. Did I have this video on VHS? True indeed. Her style was way more raw than her counterparts and even her labelmates which at the time included Salt 'n Pepa. Dressed in a simple green tee, tight jeans and her doorknocka shells- she epitomized Hip-Hop style while letting folks know she's not the one to step to...or in this case, half-step to. She was fly, yo. Casually making her way around the party, Antoinette breaks down why she's at the top of her game. Granted, lyrics were a lot simpler back then- but it was a simpler time. A time I remember all too well. This Bug's favorite line? "Matter of fact, I can't let a rapper win. I ain't Rerun. That ain't happenin'." Ah, the days when female emcees talked about something besides the riches men throw at their feet for their deep throat skills. Those were the days. Antoinette, Baby Girl... you paved the way. It's not your fault they got lost on the road, tho. Now here's a shout to the borough and my thoroughbred ladies alike.

Queens Stand Up!

No comments: