October 1, 2010

Cream of the Planet


Let the record show that This Bug's fondness for Mos Def is river deep, mountain high. It's no secret.  He's not listed as Jayne's Addiction on the right  panel for no good reason.  I could sit here and lick off countless verses and songs which showcase his limitless talent- but I'd rather just let you hear for yourself.  The following video by Ski Beatz featuring Mos is for the single, Cream of the Planet off the new album 24 Hour Karate School by the former. Seriously. How can you not love that album title?  It's been rumoured that all of Mos Def's work on the Creative Control project had been pulled before the September 7th release, but I don't know how true that is. I hope not.  That would be an injustice. Anyway- a friend of mine floated this one my way and incidentally, it played flawlessly on my phone without pausing once.  (You know how it goes: Buffering...buffering...buffer...oh screw this! Effin' Crackberry!) I love everything about this joint. The jazzy horns.  The hypnotic beat.  But the lyrics, man.  The lyrics... "Listen, life is fantastic.  Beautiful and tragic. Plain. Classic." I couldn't have said it better myself, Mos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! I LOVE THIS RECORD. BUT UNFORTUNATELY, MOS DEF IS NOT ON THE 24 HOUR KARATE SCHOOL ALBUM DUE TO SOME LEGAL MATTERS THAT COULDN'T BE CLEARED. BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS, I HEARD THAT THEY WILL BE PUTTING OUT ALL THE MOS DEF JOINTS FOR FREE REAL SOON. FYI: MOS DEF IS NOW A MEMBER OF THE G.O.O.D FAMILY FOUNDED BY KANYE WEST! NOW YOU CAN ONLY EXPECT MORE GREAT SOUNDING MUSIC FROM THIS GUY! FROM THAT SAME FRIEND WHO PASSED IT ALONG.

Jayne Neverow said...

Anon, WHY ARE YOU YELLING? Lol. Just kidding. I didn't know all of that but as long as it will be released eventually, I'm good. That's an exceptional pairing of talent, right there. Thanks again for sharing that joint and the info on it. I'm still amazed at how it played the whole way through on my my jack. That like, never happens.

And I don't mind anonymous comments in here but if I shouted you out as a friend- the least you can do is make yourself known. Sheesh...But I'll let you slide. This time.

Anonymous said...

So I know this post is old, still I want to give props to Mos def for this track. I think that he is so amazingly tallented but at the same time want to spread to thin across eclecticity. I just Love mos def doing hiphop. Not rock and hop or some crazy free spirit experiment. He just sound great when he is just about hiphop like Umi Say, Mathematics, Black Starr tracks like Respiration and classics like History from his latest album.