July 30, 2008

Again Never


Hey there folks...just wanted to share this with you all.
Jay-Z once ryhmed,
" Bite your tongue for no one
and whatever is said take it
how they want
a closed mouth don't get fed.
You know my number when it's code red."


The irony of this Hip-Hop quotable is the fact that I applied that little nugget of wisdom on one occasion and was not disappointed. The following is the actual letter of complaint that I wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:

On Thursday April 20th,2006 I visited the 40/40 Club for the first time. My guest and I ordered and paid for our drinks on the upper level, then moved downstairs where we were about to take a seat at one of the tables. Before we were able to sit down, one of your servers scurried over to inform us that,"These seats are only for people ordering food." I was somewhat unnerved by the assumption that we would not order food, mostly because he did so without so much as even offering a menu. We requested a menu & he seated us. Upon placing our order, not even 5 minutes later, the same waiter told us that a party of 10 just walked in and they will be needing the entire space where we were sitting. Before waiting for our approval or even a response, he ran over to another section to request the same of four young ladies. This arrangement would have seated us with people we did not know & would have made for an uncomfortable time there. I should mention that the four ladies were less than thrilled at his suggestion also, and made no attempt to make room for us, rightfully so. We decided to leave. Once outside, your waiter again ran after us & went so far as to LIE to the bouncer outside saying that we were walking out on a tab! From what I understand, in order to walk out on a tab, we would have to consume what was ordered & be given a bill before deciding to leave without paying. Nothing of the sort happened. He barely had time to give the kitchen our order before he rudely told us we had to move so a party of 10 could have our seats. The experience was downright insulting. Just because a larger party/gratuity came in does NOT give any staff member the right to undermine other patrons. Our money was just as green. I am not looking to complicate the lives of anyone associated with the 40/40 Club, but I do expect that this matter be addressed. I will dutifully take my complaint elsewhere if you do not feel this warrants your concern. I am positive that the New York Daily News will be happy to relay my experience to the people of New York City. We enjoyed our time there before it abruptly ended with being insulted as second class patrons. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Yours Truly,
(No need to sign my government - you get the picture)

...So the end result? I was contacted by the General Manager two days later and profusely apologized to. On top of that, I was compensated with a voucher for $1500 plus bottle service for the Remy Lounge, which I promptly gave away because I had no desire to return to that place ever again. The lesson here: A succinct, strongly worded letter gets results. No need to act up or be crass. A thinly veiled threat of negative press apparently doesn't hurt either. And so...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Ha!

Thanks Jigga Man.

No comments: