February 3, 2011

Throwback Thursdays


"Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day.
Unseen, unheard, but always near; still loved, still missed and very dear." ~Author Unknown


B-Boys and B-Girls it's been a minute. Can it be I stayed away too long? Never. Because I'll always lace you when I reemerge with Throwback Thursdays. I'm in a sentimental mood right now for more than one reason- so I'm gonna bang you with a touching, revelatory song that I hold close and always will. Plus, the emcee is no slouch. Matter of fact, she's one of the nicest to ever do it. Period. Brooklyn's own MC Lyte stomped a heavy footprint in the game and that's why she's still respected to this day. This track was from her 1991 album Act Like You Know. It's nice to know someone can articulate the loss of someone special in such a plaintive, honest manner through Hip Hop. She told a story that sadly, too many can relate to.

Poor Georgie
is one of Lyte's most memorable joints in part because of how melancholy it is and also because of the genius use of samples. I've taken the liberty of including both samples for your listening pleasure after you watch the classic video. I can remember seeing this vid for the first time and feeling like a light went on (no pun intended) when the camera pulled back and revealed the sad end to Georgie's tale. It was only then that I realized someone was dressing the dearly departed she spoke of. Someone is placing the ring on his finger, slipping the rose in his lapel, kissing lips that have invariably gone cold too soon. It was deep and it hit me full impact.

Last week was the anniversary of the birth of someone I hold near and dear to me. Someone who was also gone too soon from this world. And while Lyte's lyrics don't mirror the relationship I had with him- the last sentiment rings true. "No one on Earth is promised tomorrow." I walk with that lesson daily and try to never forget it. I dedicate Today's Throwback to one who is still woven throughout my life since childhood. The closest thing to Big Daddy Kane our little 'hood ever had. Truly known by few. Loved by more. Missed by many. His light shines eternally.

In Loving Memory of John I. a.k.a. Peanut








Bless.

No comments: